Avalanche Skills Training Level 1 (AST 1) is your stepping stone into the backcountry. This course is a must have if you plan on leaving the fields behind & riding your sled in the mountains.
Need to know details:
- 2 day course – 1 day in the classroom & 1 day in the backcountry
- Beginner course
- Minimum amount of training required if you are headed into the backcountry
- To register click Book Now, scroll to desired location & select desired date
- Stay Wild is an Avalanche Canada AST provider
What you will learn:
- Avalanche formation & release
- How to identify avalanche terrain
- Basic trip planning
- The ins & outs of the Avalanche Forecast
- Human factors
- Tools & resources to mitigate avalanche risk
- Safe travel techniques
- Basic companion rescue
- How to use transceiver, probe & shovel
- How to dig a snow pit & perform a compression test
The classroom session can be split into two evenings allowing you to shred during the day!
AST 1 will follow the curriculum provided by Avalanche Canada and will provide you with the knowledge necessary for you to further your education with Managing Avalanche Terrain,Companion Rescue, AST 2 or CAA Level 1 Avalanche Operations.
Check out our Shreducation Flow Chart to see where your training can take you!
- Transceiver (recommended 3 antenna)
- Probe (recommended 3 meter)
- Warm clothing
- Trail pass
$329 + GST per person
*Does not include trail fees
Private Group Pricing:
$1320 + GST up to 4 people
$1975 + GST up to 6 people
$2635 + GST up to 8 people
Women’s Specific AST 1 courses are available
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
*Evening classroom sessions are from 6pm – 10 pm both nights
8:45 am – 4:00 pm
Field day located in the backcountry
Refund Policy: If cancelled within 14 days of the course / camp you will not receive a refund unless your spot can be filled. If cancelled before the 14 day mark you will be charged a $35 processing fee and receive a full refund minus $35. Please note that if the minimum number of people to run a course is not met the course will be cancelled and you will receive a full refund.
Why book with us?
- Small group sizes
- Flexible location choices
- Ladies only groups available
- Avalanche Canada certified instructors
- Local knowledge
- AST 1 Certificate
- Available as add on to Sled Camps!
- Welcoming & Comfortable learning environment