Avalanche Skills Training Level 1 (AST 1) is your stepping stone into the backcountry. This course is a must have if you plan on ducking that rope & leaving the resort behind.
Need to know details:
- 2 day course – 1 day in the classroom & 1 day in the backcountry
- Beginner course
- Minimum amount of training required if you are headed into the backcountry
- To register click Book Now, scroll down to desired location, select course dates
What you will learn:
- Avalanche formation & release
- How to identify avalanche terrain
- Basic trip planning
- Tools & resources to mitigate avalanche risk
- Safe travel techniques
- Basic companion rescue
- How to use transceiver, probe & shovel
- How to dig a snow pit & perform a compression test
The classroom session can be split into two evenings allowing you to shred during the day!
AST 1 will follow the curriculum provided by Avalanche Canada and will provide you with the knowledge necessary for you to further your education either with Managing Avalanche Terrain,Companion Rescue, AST 2 or CAA Level 1 Avalanche Operations.
Check out our Shreducation Flow Chart to see where your training can take you!
- Comfortable skiing or snowboarding on blue & some black runs at the resort
Helpful but not required:
- Skiers: practice putting skins on & taking them off, practice with bindings & go for a little stroll at the golf course to get the feel for your equipment
- Snowboarders: practice turning your snowboard into two planks & one, practice putting skins on, go for a stroll at the golf course to get a feel for your board
*We do not have a ton of time on the field day to teach how to use equipment / how to tour. Check out our Learn to Walk Uphill Camp if you are interested in learning the need to know details when starting out!
- Touring equipment (touring skis / or splitboard, skins, poles)
- Lift ticket to the resort to access Backcountry (excluding Revelstoke)
- Appropriate clothing for a day in the backcountry
- Courses are available at the ski hill if touring equipment is not available
$229 per person + GST
*Does NOT include lift ticket for the field day.
$385 + GST per person with Learn To Walk Uphill add on
Looking for equipment rentals?
Check out Selkirk Sports & Avalanche Safety Solutions
Private Group Pricing:
$950 + GST up to 4 people
$1435 + GST up to 6 people
$1900 + GST up to 8 people
*Available as an add on for Touring Camps
Women’s Specific AST 1 courses are available
Check out our schedule for upcoming courses!
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
*Evening classroom sessions are from 6pm – 10 pm both nights
8:45 am – 4:00 pm
Field day located in the backcountry
Refund Policy: If cancelled within 14 days of the course / camp you will receive 50% of your money back. If cancelled before the 14 day mark you will be charged a $35 processing fee and receive a full refund minus $35. Please note that if the minimum number of people to run a course is not met the course will be cancelled and you will receive a full refund.
Why book with us?
- Small group sizes
- Flexible location choices
- Ladies only groups available
- Avalanche Canada certified instructors
- Local knowledge
- AST 1 Certificate
- Available as add on to Touring Camps!
- Welcoming & Comfortable learning environment